Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Zen and the art of Reusing Plastic Bags

  • Research shows that plastic bags will take 1,000 years to decompose
  • 500 Billion to one trillion plastic bags are used each year
  • Plastic bags are the second-most common type of ocean refuse, after cigarette butts (2008)

Trying to live sustainably can seem staggeringly complicated at times.  We have so many things to think about.  Waste reduction, toxins, fair wages for coffee workers in Mexico.

How can we keep from becoming discouraged? Like they say in alcoholics anonymous, "one day at a time".  Today I want to talk about plastic.  We use too much! Plastic is everywhere and in everything. As I scan my apartment I see plastic shoes, plastic cell phone, plastic computer, plastic toothbrush, the big blue plastic Ikea bag, and the list goes on. Plastics packaging is cheap and out of control! The depressing part is that many of these items cannot be recycled. 

I've recently taken a hard line with my plastic use. In fact I was inspired by Beth Terry who has been living plastic free (and blogging about it) since 2007. So I decided to join her "Plastic Challenge" - I will post my results here and on her blog.

My goal is to be a more mindful consumer. As I reach for that handy produce baggy I want to stop and think "hold the boat, do I need this? This baggy is going to take 1,000 years to decompose." I am also trying to buy non-plastic packaging like glass and paper, but it’s not always easy. In the grocery aisle as I stare at the 20 plastic yogurt containers I wonder if I will have to stop eating yogurt altogether.  Sometimes I feel like it's a lost battle.

No funky bags – Clean ém dry and dry 'em right!

Re-using plastic bags is one way I am reduce plastic waste in my life.   And I'm a bit of a germ-o-phobe so I did some research.on how to prevent food-born illnesses from bacteria and such. Particularly on how best to clean that baggie that came from the butcher.  You might think yuck, I'm not going to re-use a bag that had raw meat in it. Never fear...follow these easy tips for sanitizing the baggy.

Hot soapy water and vinegar

You can simply wash the bags by hand in the sink. Turn the bag inside out and give them a good scrubbing with hot soapy water. If the bag contained raw meat follow with a 5% vinegar rinse.  (the kind you find in the market).   Vinegar has been proven to kill mold, germs and viruses! Alternately you could use a store bought product such as Cleanwell which claims that thyme is a great natural anti-bacterial. 
Too much moisture left in the bag can breed bacteria so it's important to dry well before storing. If you have drying lines in your laundry room, it's easy, just hang them up to dry and after a few hours turn them inside out to dry the other side. Speed along the process with a quick wipe with a towel.

Another way to dry plastic bags is in your dish drainer by standing a big knife or spoon up and hang the bag over that.  Also a coat hanger can work if it's bent in such a way that you can lay the washed bags over them to drip dry.



Here's one I made, I know it's not very pretty but it works! For your crafty types I found  DIY bag dryer on Ehow...it sounds cute!  Send pics if you make one.

Repeat this mantra...Use it, clean it, dry it, bring it! (It does no good hiding in your pantry).  Then read this article by Reusit.com which will likely terrify you into re-thinking that plastic bag.




No comments:

Post a Comment